Starting point for package list for Fedora 7 Desktop spin

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Jan 28 18:22:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 05:44:38PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraDesktop
 >
 > This is a first rough draft at what packages to include in the Desktop spin.

 > <core> (not visible)
 > hdparm

Is this really vital for core? If a chipset isn't auto-enabling DMA these days,
it's a kernel bug that really should be fixed.  And I can't think of
any other must-have reasons for hdparm.

 > <base> (visible)
 > crash

belongs in a 'development' group or the like, but there doesn't
seem to be one. Hmm?  I'd put this wherever binutils/gdb/gcc are,
which doesn't seem to be 'base'.

 > diskdumputils

This should be dropped. The kernel bits haven't been present for
some time now.

 > gnome-power-manager (does this go with Desktop instead?)

I'd say yes today, given the absense of a system wide power daemon.

 > mcelog

Should be core.  This is as important as say, fsck.

 > mdadm

When this list says 'visible' does that mean "offered as a choice in package set" ?
Anaconda has the knowledge to know whether or not it will need this post-boot
so this shouldn't need to be asked about.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk