F8 desktop features

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sat Jul 28 17:15:39 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 07:11 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:40:13 +0530
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > god-mode is a awful name.
>
> It's a throwback to many ID games such as Doom and Quake, where
> 'god-mode' meant that you could not be killed.

Bah, but in this case, using god-mode kills(*) my classic panel setup,
so it's at least a little bit misleading, don't you think?

(*): It did that the last time I tried it out and I probably won't try
it out again unless somebody vouchsafes for it not treading over my
carefully crafted configuration again. If you want me to try something
out, I want to be sure that I can easily go back to what I had before if
I don't like it(**).

(**): The benefit of the Bigboard menu learning what applications I like
to use is much outweighed by its eating a good share of my screen real
estate _permanently_. My well trained panels hide themselves like the
good servants they should emulate -- invisible when not needed. Panels
that don't hide themselves are okay, but the Bigboard menu wastes too
much space considering that I need it say < 5% of the time (I'm making
that number up), the other > 95% of the time it's just in the way.

I'd be happy if I could combine the (auto-hiding, self-learning)
Bigboard menu with the classical panels I have today.

Be my heroes and tell me that my concerns will be addressed in the final
version ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
Temporary
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759