Fedora 8 Boot Process

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Jul 23 02:45:58 UTC 2007

Brian Tate escribió:

> 1) Do away with the grub menu by default
>    Why? That is the first question that came to mind. A large number
> of linux users dual-boot multiple OSes. It also is useful when you
> have multiple kernel versions installed; if you set the time-out to 3
> seconds do you really notice it?

Didn't see the actual page until after I finished my other mail... No
where do I understand they want to depart with GRUB, but rather make the
kernel high resolution support as early as possible (i.e. as soon as the
initrd image is loaded), switch to the best video mode (video modes in
the VT are rather cryptic) and color bit depth for the attached display
and continue booting all the way until X11 is loaded with a nice, shiny
and professional looking through out all  of the boot process, which
could in turn be made faster by means of new stuff like 'initng' and the
resource liberation of RHGB and the "extra" Xserver.