Re: Fedora 8 Boot Process

Brian Tate escribió:

1) Do away with the grub menu by default
Why? That is the first question that came to mind. A large number of linux users dual-boot multiple OSes. It also is useful when you have multiple kernel versions installed; if you set the time-out to 3 seconds do you really notice it?

Didn't see the actual page until after I finished my other mail... No where do I understand they want to depart with GRUB, but rather make the kernel high resolution support as early as possible (i.e. as soon as the initrd image is loaded), switch to the best video mode (video modes in the VT are rather cryptic) and color bit depth for the attached display and continue booting all the way until X11 is loaded with a nice, shiny and professional looking through out all of the boot process, which could in turn be made faster by means of new stuff like 'initng' and the resource liberation of RHGB and the "extra" Xserver.