Fedora 8 Boot Process

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 15:40:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 21:36 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> Brian Tate escribió:
> > 2) Switch to graphical Mode in initrd, draw an animation....
> >    I have an animation now in rhgb, and as a bonus I can see all my
> > services loading if I hit the "more" button. I trust this feature will
> > not go away?
>
> Ever heard of Linux BootSplash? Is way better than RHGB in that
> BootSplash (upon which I'm assuming they're basing this) does not
> require to launch an early Xserver (in other words, it consumes quite a
> bit of resources to do that and can't be done as soon as the kernel is
> loaded, where as BootSplash can, as it is part of the kernel image).

The idea isn't to use bootsplash because bootsplash is not at all
upstream and basically has zero chance of getting there.  Instead, work
is underway so that the kernel can do native modesetting for various
graphics chipsets.  Then we'll just go the same mode and avoid the mode
switch and corresponding monitor flash.

Jeremy