Monitor Not Optimum Mode/Screen Black/Can't Get Back

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:07:28 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Rob Butts <r.butts2 at verizon.net> wrote:

> After just installing Fedora 7 on a new drive I was setting the screen
> resolution to 1600 x 1200.  The screen went black with a gray box voting
> around that reads:
>

> Not Optimum Mode
>
> Recommended Mode: 1600 x 1200
>

> I'm sure this is because I didn't install the driver for this monitor but I
> don't know how to get to a lower resolution.  I tried searching the Fedora 7
> installation forum archives but I don't have permission.

Assuming the problem is the same as with FC6

Follow the following tutorial to get to runlevel 3:
http://www.pembo13.com/linux/tutorials/runlevel3/

Then edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to put in the proper resolution.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Arthur Pemberton

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud