Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 1 11:32:39 UTC 2007

Owen Taylor <otaylor <at> redhat.com> writes:
> Maybe carefully omitting the GenericName field from the desktop files
> where it doesn't provide information we want in the menus would work.

It would.

I'd argue about the Iagno case though, saying it's a board game does provide
information. In KDE, there's a "board games" submenu, but 1. I don't believe
GNOME has that and 2. Iagno isn't even currently in there AFAICS, that would
need adding some X-KDE-* category to the list of categories (shall we start
filing RFEs asking to add those categories to the desktop files where it makes
sense? It wouldn't break anything for GNOME and it would make KDE look more
organized).

> But is that an improvement from the current situation?

IMHO yes, because that would at least make 3 out of the 4 settings look right
(Name only, Name and GenericName, GenericName and Name), only the "GenericName
only" setting would look bad (it would use Name instead).

Maybe the best solution would be to have a boolean which says whether the
GenericName is useful in the presence of Name or only as a replacement for
Name, but supporting that needs patching in both KDE and GNOME.

        Kevin Kofler