Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 13:08:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:02 +0100, Stuart Children wrote:

> Yep, makes sense. So focusing purely on where we (GNOME and Fedora) want
> to go, rather than how to resolve the specifics of the X-Chat case right
> now... it would appear that we do intend to change desktop files to have
> Name and GenericName specific as in the fdo spec (values "X-Chat" and
> "IRC Client" in our example here).
>
> So the key question is, will bigboard replace the current gnome-panel's
> application menu? It would *seem* so, but it's not entirely clear. My
> reason for asking: is it worth my time going to hack on gnome-menus
> (though maybe the library changes there are required anyway - will have
> to see what bigboard's using to read desktop entries) and gnome-panel?
>
> The other consideration there would be the timeline for integration of
> bigboard into a GNOME/Fedora release. If there isn't currently one
> that's fine, I just want to differentiate that from me know being able
> to find it. :) The changes I was thinking of to gnome-panel could be
> done easily enough, would allow people to start "fixing" the desktop
> files right away, and prevent upsets about name display until bigboard
> is available. But maybe my efforts are better spent on bigboard?

I think it is definitively worth improving gnome-menus handling of
Name/GenericName. Bigboard is in rawhide right now. The way we envision
this to work in the F8 timeframe is that there will be a way to switch
between "classical" and "online" mode (the switching code is currently
under review in the online-desktop package). I don't think that the
"classical" mode is not going completely away anytime soon.