Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 01:35:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I agree that the only way to make this work with translations is to add
> a new field, e.g. FullName, and allow placeholders:
>
> FullName=%{Name} %{GenericName}
> FullName[fr_FR]=%{Name} - %{GenericName}

That doesn't really work either, we had

Name=Foo
GenericName=Text Editor
Fullname=Foo Text Editor

it's possible the language could be something like:
Name[qx_QX]=Foo
GenericName[qx_QX]=Modifierer doo Tekst
FullName[qx_QX] = Modifiereth du Tekst sa Fooerd

What I'm saying is suffixes can change depending on the surrounding
words, so any strategy that involves placeholders won't work (because
they'll expand with the wrong suffixes).

We've had bugs about this kind of thing before, although I don't
remember the details. (Was it with Irish Gaelic? I don't know.)

--Ray