An obvious problem with BigBoards application selection

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 18:34:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 15:44 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Hmm... to show evince? If you want to show evince in bigboard...why
> wouldn't you want to show it in the normal menus as well?  I honestly
> can't think of a rationale where you'd want it to show up in one
> interface and not the other. Either evince should be treated like a
> normal callable end user application or its treated as a helper and is
> thus hidden from selection interfaces... pick a pov and stick with it.

It was a conscious design decision for evince to not appear in the
menus.  There seems to be no advantage to starting evince on its own, as
it is very much a viewer and not a creator.  We can perhaps finesse the
NoDisplay issue with a white list or black list.  A better approach
might be to categorize that kind of application by mime-type.

While it has a terrible name, something like this might be an
interesting add-on to mugshot:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCommonHooker

The design is pretty bad, but the overall idea is good.  The mugshot
server would be a great basis to do this right.

Thanks,
-Jonathan