Discussion about F7-KDE-LiveCD

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 6 00:17:28 UTC 2007

Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to start a discussion about the package list on a possible
> f7-kde-livecd. It would be much easier for me to test some
> configurations when the direction is cleared. :)
>
> So I've got some questions:
>
> 1. Configuration: Do we want (according to the gnome/desktop-livecd) a
> base configuration and an "advanced" configuration? Of course only one
> (the advanced) would be created and published. But having a standard
> configuration would it make easier to change some things.

I would prefer just a standard configuration. I dont think a split is
necessary. The tools should be easy enough to use a single configuration
as a template to customize the packages further.

> 2. Browser/Email: Do we want Firefox and/or Evolution on the live-cd?
> (Be aware that space is limited)

How much space? If there is space, it might be useful to include them.

> 3. Do we want krusader and/or dolphin on the live-cd? In general:
> Do we want duplications in the functionality of applications (not as
> easy as it sounds; eg. amarok vs. noatun?

We have to get a complete list of potential duplicates and decide on a
case by case basis I think. While Krusader and Konqueror are both
advanced user tool, I would consider including Dolphin  as the default
file manager (especially since it has got commonly requested features
like tree view and is scheduled to be the default for KDE 4) and
configure Konqueror to be the default web browser with the profile being
configured appropriate.

> 4. What about localisation? The kde-i18n-packages are not really slim.
> So perhaps putting them on a live-dvd would be the better idea
> (gnome/desktop-livecd is fully localized)

You probably cant include Openoffice.org if you include I18N packages. I
guess doing what GNOME live CD does makes sense. Do you plan on
providing a live DVD too?

> b) An "advanced" CD uses ~705 MB.

Accessibility is also important. Do these sizes refer to compressed ones?

Rahul