homedir subdirs in extras, please test

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 08:55:39 UTC 2007

After some upstream discussions at freedesktop I have now implemented my
homedir folders proposal and built it in fedora 7 (extras). I've also
done some initial Gnome/Gtk+ integration.

There are a few packages involved:
* xdg-user-dirs
This is a desktop agnostic package. It contains a program that gets run
very early during login. It creates folders as needed and updates the
user config file to point to the current directories.
* xdg-user-dirs-gtk
This is started in the user session. It checks for changes in locale and
on local change prompts the user if he wants to update to the new
locale. It also installs a default .gtk-bookmarks file if none exists
(or its empty) that points to the new dirs.
* nautilus
The latest nautilus has a patch so that the right directories are used
for the desktop and the templates dir. It also tracks changes in the
special folders and updates the config file and the bookmarks if any of
these are renamed and/or moved.

There are not a lot of translations yet in xdg-user-dirs, so most people
will probably get english foldernames. Hopefully we'll get most
translations done before Fedora 7 is released though.

Now we need to continue integrating this into other applications. I'll
take a look at gnome-user-share and gnome-panel today.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a leather-clad coffee-fuelled waffle chef with acid for blood. She's an
orphaned hypochondriac detective with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight
crime!