Plans for the desktop beyond Fedora 7

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue May 8 18:19:33 UTC 2007

Le mardi 08 mai 2007 à 13:20 -0400, Adam Jackson a écrit :
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 19:40 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > > What would be even cooler is "You just pressed a key I don't know about.
> > > What do you want it to do?"
> >
> > What would be even cooler is correct handling of those keyboards at the
> > driver level (thanksfully handling of HID devices is being reworked
> > right now http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=117670276527382&w=2 )
>
> Reactive.  Adding new models will always take turnaround, vendors won't
> agree what keys should send what keysyms, blah blah.

It's a lot more standardised than you think, since MS apps rely on
standard MM keys. The only reason a lot of stuff does not work now is
there was no framework to declare enhanced keys at the kernel level/

> I mean, yes, wonderful work, but we still need to fix the enablement
> path of hardware we've never seen before.  "Poke all the weird keys on
> your keyboard, tell me what they mean, and then click here to submit
> upstream" sounds like a nice model.

We'll see how stuff works out. Not needing a userspace pile of
workarounds would be nice (pretend every mice is a MS one worked better
than expose all device-spocific alsa knobs to userspace)

--
Nicolas Mailhot