fedora 6/7 - why do you ignore k3b by default?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed May 16 08:53:33 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:

> I'm not only giving my own personal opinion, but also of a few other
> people who switched from windows to linux desktop. And they love k3b
> more than they did Nero on the "dark" side :)

Out of curiosity, have those users tried GnomeBaker? Maybe Brassero also?
Which advantages have K3b over those? (beside support for mp3, which is
not enabled in Fedora anyway)

> I installed gnome desktiop from Fedora 7 test 4 dvd, and I feel that
> from DVD it should be installed by default no matter what DE I choose.

Not if Gnome have a comparable native alternative.

> Gnome has some programs that KDE doesn't and also is true for the KDE
> (qt). There is no point sticking to only one platform - the best apps
> from whole array of linux apps should be presented to new users. Users
> don't care it it's qt or not.

Well, on my desktop K3b look alien (I can tell from a mile it use
another set of widgets) and is very slow to start. Its Open/Save dialogs
look strange and do not include the bookmarks available in all other
applications, the order of "OK"/"Cancel" buttons in dialogs is weird,
the menu structure is bad (instead of Edit > Preferences it have
Settings). I could go with this more and more.