shutdown compared ubuntu vs fedora

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri May 18 10:05:16 UTC 2007

On 5/18/07, Steffen Kluge <kluge at fujitsu.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:30 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > It is much more usable, and user frendly - and it has logoff button
> > integrated in it and not separate (as it should also be on fedora
> > IMHO).
>
> I for one are no fan of lumping logout and shutdown together. They are
> fundamentally different tasks, at least if you come from a Unix
> background.

When you say "unix" I hear "servers". Fedora should be more about
desktop and user experience with this great desktop. You should look
more towards the OSX than to unix in these matters. Look just what
Apple has made with an "unix" system when they combined a great user
experience. I still prefer Fedora to OSX, but I must say Fedora could
do better it it borrowed some of the great solutions on OSX desktop.

Different pieces should be logically grouped together even if the are
for different tasks - that is done all the time - so I don't see any
argument not to do it here.

For a better desktop workflow for me it is nor logical to have two
buttons  - especially because you really have to look hard at them to
make the distinction - and if you put them on gnome panel you have two
buttons instead of one.

To be more clear - I am talking about merging functionality of gnome
panel buttons. In "System" gnome menu there is possibly a case for
leaving them separate - but when I look at them now they look too
similar - and it there wasn't text beside them I would have to give
them a really hard look before deciding which button to push.