Plans for the desktop beyond Fedora 7, status update

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu May 31 05:31:15 UTC 2007

I thought it might be a good idea to catch the moment before the release
of Fedora 7 to give a quick update on where we stand with respect to
Fedora 8 features. I have also updated those feature pages with pointers
to review bugs, etc, but here is a summary:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBigboard

Havoc and his team have been really busy, and there will be bigboard
packages for people to play with when rawhide reopens. An online-desktop
package which provides further integration is currently under review.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy

The codeina package is currently under review and should land in rawhide
shortly.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBluetooth

Bastian has started to work on this; support for ObexFTP in gnome-vfs
should land in rawhide tomorrow; and Bluetooth printer support is
currently being integrated upstream.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePulseaudio

Not much visible progress yet, but we have begun to make pulseaudio work
nicely with fast-user-switching.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePolicyKit

David has it all worked out in his head :-) Code should start to appear
in the next few weeks...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup

We have started to prototype this, but there is not much to see yet,
since we need modesetting in the kernel for this.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNetworkManager
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDriverBuddy

Nothing new here yet.

All in all, quite a few new things to expect in rawhide soon, together with
Gnome 2.19...

Matthias