Plans for the desktop beyond Fedora 7

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 7 21:03:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 15:55 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 13:28 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > The desktop team has recently started to think about what things we want
> > to focus on beyond F7, and what we want to improve in the Fedora 8
> > timeframe.
> >
> > While there are no very detailed specs and commitments yet, I have put
> > together some preliminary information in the wiki, and I'd like to
> > share it with the interested public on this mailing list. Feel free
> > to comment and discuss. There will be some more feature descriptions
> > in the near future, and the ones I have begun will hopefully be fleshed
> > out more fully by their respective owners.
> >
> > Matthias
> >

> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePulseaudio
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePolicyKit
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBigboard
>
> Matthias, is PolicyKit the right place to request a feature such as
> poking firewall holes for avahi (Rhythmbox sharing, etc.)?  I seem to
> remember that was one of the targets for this package.  Of course, I may
> be misremembering that detail...

It's not the right place to _implement_ the poking of holes, but
PolicyKit would hopefully be used by the thing that actually poked the
holes to determine if you are authorized to poke holes.  It's more of a
"decider" than an actor.  The actor asks policy kit if some operation is
authorized, and PolicyKit says "yes/no".

Dan