Plans for the desktop beyond Fedora 7

Robert M. Albrecht romal at gmx.de
Tue May 8 06:44:40 UTC 2007

Hi,

some things I would love to see improved:

Network related

- vpn and dialup integration for network manager
- a gui for pairing with bluetooth devices
- a gui for setting up bluetooth and usb dialup devices (mobile phones)
for connecting to the internet
- a gui for setting up 3g networks (umts, ...) for internet access. This
could be an extension to system-config-network

Booting

- faster boot when not connected to a network; many services are
starting really slow, if the network is down
- faster boot times at all

Security

- disabling root (like ubuntu), thus forcing the user to work as a
non-root user
- some kind of backup tool, for the whole system or the users profile
and data
- Integration of clamav in Evolution and Thunderbird
- support for encryption of user data ( /home/...)

Configuration

- Ubuntu has two software installation tools. One shows the complete
repository, the other is intented for endusers. Listed are only
applications, with a rating, how well it integrates into the used gui,
... I think this is really cool. Many users are overwhelmed by that many
choices Pirut offers. Perhaps this could simply by a button in Pirut to
suppress libs or
- GUI for adding third party repositories
- GUI for managing raid configurations, Anacondo can to this, but only
at installation time. If you add a hdd after installation, you have to
use mdadm manually.

GUI

- enable Gnomes NFS browsing (network places), in F7 only smb-browsing
seems to be enabled.
- enable more than three mouse-buttons
- enhancing the gui for extended keyboards
- a GUI for laptop-related things: laptop-mode, configuration
suspend2ram or suspend2disk, power-management, ...

cu romal