Plans for the desktop beyond Fedora 7

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue May 8 17:20:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 19:40 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 08 mai 2007 à 13:03 -0400, Adam Jackson a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 17:18 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > > Go to the keyboard shortcuts, assign keys, it works. And if it doesn't,
> > > it's a bug somewhere, and you should file a bug.
> >
> > What would be even cooler is "You just pressed a key I don't know about.
> > What do you want it to do?"
>
> What would be even cooler is correct handling of those keyboards at the
> driver level (thanksfully handling of HID devices is being reworked
> right now http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=117670276527382&w=2 )

Reactive.  Adding new models will always take turnaround, vendors won't
agree what keys should send what keysyms, blah blah.

I mean, yes, wonderful work, but we still need to fix the enablement
path of hardware we've never seen before.  "Poke all the weird keys on
your keyboard, tell me what they mean, and then click here to submit
upstream" sounds like a nice model.

- ajax