Fedora 8 - more user friendly updates?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:16:19 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Till Maas <gmane2.20.boeh at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
> > One thing I found really exceptional was Ubuntu's granual update. You
> > can choose what types of updates you wan't the system to inform you of
> > - only security updates, system updates (desktop and related programs)
> > or all updates (all installed packages).
>
> > Is there any plan for Fedora 8 to be more user friendly in this
> > regard? I love Fedora Desktop more that any other linux desktop and
> > just would like to see it adopt the great ideas that others have
> > already implemented and then suprise them with some new features that
> > other destops don't have.
>
> When you use yum, you can use this yum plugin to only install security
> updates. This works for Core Packages in FC6 and all in F7.
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jantill/yum-security/yum-security.man.html
>
> Regards,
> Till

I know that no matter what technical question I ask there is an
answer. I know about yum plugins... but the point is that in Ubuntu
there is a really nice gui and it is really intuitive.
You see there three choices, choose which kind of updates you want and
off you go.

If you don't know about yum plugins on fedora you are stuck, and on
Ubuntu (sorry to push it all the time in your face) even if you don't
know that there is a such possibility when you open the "update config
tool" or what it is called - you see it and it becomes clear
instantly.