fedora 6/7 - why do you ignore k3b by default?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:10:32 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >
> > I'm not only giving my own personal opinion, but also of a few other
> > people who switched from windows to linux desktop. And they love k3b
> > more than they did Nero on the "dark" side :)
>
> Out of curiosity, have those users tried GnomeBaker? Maybe Brassero also?
> Which advantages have K3b over those? (beside support for mp3, which is
> not enabled in Fedora anyway)

Yes. They tested a few and still came back to k3b. Why? I know only
they said it is the best they used - I didn't go into details.

> > I installed gnome desktiop from Fedora 7 test 4 dvd, and I feel that
> > from DVD it should be installed by default no matter what DE I choose.
>
> Not if Gnome have a comparable native alternative.

Ok, here I agree. But not even brasero is installed by default on my
gnome desktop in fedora core 6 or fedora 7 test 4.

> > Gnome has some programs that KDE doesn't and also is true for the KDE
> > (qt). There is no point sticking to only one platform - the best apps
> > from whole array of linux apps should be presented to new users. Users
> > don't care it it's qt or not.
>
> Well, on my desktop K3b look alien (I can tell from a mile it use

I think you are a bit too biased to make this claim.
I alt-tab firefox-nautilus-thunderbird-openoffice-evolution and then
k3b... and when I switch to k3b it doesn't look at least out of place.
It looks like a native linux app - and in place.
I don't judge an app by widgets set and think that is discriminating.

> another set of widgets) and is very slow to start.

I (and probably over 50% of users) have one or other app that uses
other widget set - on my system k3b launces in 2 seconds, and that is
not because of time to load libraries but because it test the system
and devices during launch - if you aren't familiar how k3b works I
suggest you use it first and then claim that it is slow because of kde
libraries.

On my desktop k3b

>Its Open/Save dialogs
> look strange and do not include the bookmarks available in all other
> applications, the order of "OK"/"Cancel" buttons in dialogs is weird,
> the menu structure is bad (instead of Edit > Preferences it have
> Settings). I could go with this more and more

Come on, are you really serious?
Almost every app has differently places some buttons or menu... Try
using some really different app like gaim ie. pidgin - what would you
say to that app?