shutdown compared ubuntu vs fedora

Rogue roguexz at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:56:51 UTC 2007

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 mai 2007 à 18:02 +0200, Valent Turkovic a écrit :
>

>> If you looked atleast at one desktop usabillity study you woldn't say
>> such tings.
>> Buttons matter to users, colors of buttons matter... the shape of
>> buttons also matters...
>>

> These problems are best discussed on the fedora-desktop & fedora-art
> lists

I am not an active poster on this thread, but I do believe that this
would be the right list to discuss the OP's issue. Isn't this supposed
to be the fedora usability list? If we do come to the agreement that an
icon along with the text makes more sense, then we could request the
art-team, or the team incharge to incorporate the changes.

In the current dialog, I do see a certain usability hindrance. I am
typically used to shutting down my laptop before heading to work.
Recently when I wished to hibernate the system instead, I found myself
taking the effort of reading the text to get to the action that I
intended to perform.

I am not stating that icons are useless. Just that, it is easier for a
lot of people to associate an image with an action. If appropriate icons
were made available, and if I had used those icons through the
menu-items, then at one glance, I would know the button to click on
(within the shutdown dialog).

Regarding the question on the surrounding items being dimmed, I believe
this is a feature that a lot of new generation applications are also
taking up. I do not have the links to prove my point at the moment, but
I shall do my research on get back to you on it. I *guess* the idea here
is to gain the user's attention towards the action in question, but I
may be wrong on this one :-)

thanks,
Rogue