new user creation module in firstboot

Ben Konrath bkonrath at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 03:58:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 21:26 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 05:35:33PM -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > > Email address? Where's that going to go? What will it be used for? And
> > > isn't my e-mail address username at localhost?
> > The Email address is intended to used to pull in account information
> > from mugshot so using username at localhost wouldn't really work.
>
> My point is: how is the user presented with that form supposed to guess
> that? Mugshot integration sounds like a cool idea -- but why not present it
> as that?

Good point. But since there are other uses for the email address (think
any application that asks for the users email address), it's best to
just keep it generic.

> > > There should also be an advanced button so that parameters like userid
> > > can be selected.
> > This user creation module is intended to be used by desktop users, not
> > systems administrators so having a place to select advanced options like
> > userid doesn't really make sense. FWIW, the current user creation module
> > doesn't have those options for local users either.
>
> I'm a desktop user. I want to select my user id. This is a flaw in the
> current user creation module; if we're changing it, now's the time to fix
> it.

When I said desktop user I really meant 'non-computer-savy desktop
user', sorry about that. I think for this case uid is not required, but
by that logic neither is the unix username (and some might argue that
passwords are in the same boat). So maybe an advanced would be useful.

Thanks for your input, Ben