new user creation module in firstboot

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Oct 5 04:05:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:58:57PM -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > > The Email address is intended to used to pull in account information
> > > from mugshot so using username at localhost wouldn't really work.
> > My point is: how is the user presented with that form supposed to guess
> > that? Mugshot integration sounds like a cool idea -- but why not present it
> > as that?
> Good point. But since there are other uses for the email address (think
> any application that asks for the users email address), it's best to
> just keep it generic.

Ouch. I don't *want* to provide a working e-mail address to any application
that generically asks. And I don't think I'm the only one who's sensitive to
this.

Anyway, from an old school Unix perspective it just feels weird to ask it
the way you are, because e-mail address is exactly equal to
username at hostname.

But overall I'm with you on this. It's useful to have an external e-mail
address. In fact, I'd like to see an option on this screen to automatically
alias the root e-mail address to the given address.