esc by default?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 18:48:45 UTC 2007

On 10/5/07, David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
> But you're right; it's about balance; there's a couple of kernel drivers
> we don't ship because they're just too obscure. Or they're too buggy. Or
> too bloated. Whatever. Ideally our OS should be able to detect the
> hardware and properly request for the driver / enabling software to be
> installed (clearly, this won't work for kernel drivers now that kmod's
> are banned but there's a lot of other stuff in userspace).

Detection of this at install time? Even if all the pieces to do that
are available, doesn't that require some significant re-think in
installer package management?  At the very least we'd have to have a
list of packages associated which each sort of hardware detection flag
that could be parsed by the installer. Using what we have currently as
a starting point, you'd essentially have to group things in a comps
group associated with each detection criteria, and then teach anaconda
to set that group to install by default if the detection criteria is
met.

And when installing from livecd targets... could you discriminate in a
similar fashion and only install to disk the hardware specific
userspace bits that system needed? I think that'd be tougher since the
livecd's install a pre-cooked disk image with all the bells and
whistles already installed.

-jef