madwifi in fedora 8

Martin Jürgens martin at gamesplace.info
Sun Oct 14 10:32:52 UTC 2007

Hi!

The reason for this is that some parts of madwifi are non-free (the
HAL).

The Fedora project decided not to ship non-free parts, which includes
proprietary ATI drivers, proprietary NVIDIA drivers and Madwifi in order
to encourage the vendors to publish specifications and / or free
drivers. This worked for ATI, and we will have free drivers supporting
newer chipsets available soon.

Fedora 8 will ship with ath5k, which is open source and supports Atheros
chipsets, also. The madwifi developers develop it now.

Martin