Request for inclusion of compizconfig-python and ccsm into F-8

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Oct 25 14:16:02 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 01:28 +0800, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail wrote:
> >> Package: compizconfig-python-0.6.0-1.fc8 , ccsm-0.6.0-3.fc8
> >> Request description: Inclusion into Fedora 8 final
> >>
> >> Rationale:
> >>    Compiz Fusion has been one of the major attraction to Linux lately,
> >> and with Ubuntu already providing CF out of the box, users will expect
> >> other distros to have it too. There no full featured configurator for
> >> current compiz-fusion in F-8.
> >>
> >> Impact not accepting:
> >>    Users will have to use gconf-editor to configure compiz-fusion
> >> manually. Marketing value might be affected.
> >>
> >> Others:
> >>    current compiz in F-8 uses 'glib gconf' as its configuration
> >> backend, if FedoraProject decided to use libcompizconfig as the
> >> configuration backend, changes are needed in desktop-effects and
> >> /usr/bin/gnome-wm to load 'ccp' plugin instead of 'glib gconf'. CCSM
> >> requires compiz to use 'ccp' for it to function properly.
> >
> > +1
> >

> Spot, did you notice that this requires changes to desktop-effects and
> gnome-session?  It sounds like they expect it to be part of the default
> install, not just an add-on to the compiz of today.  Is the desktop team
> aware and in agreement with these changes?

This has come up before, and while it would be nice to have a more
capable configuration program for compiz the current libcompizconfig
is not the right solution.  Ideally we would have a configuration
application per desktop environment and the GNOME configurator would
just talk to gconf directly, similarly for the KDE configurator.

If somebody wants to write a settings manager that works with several
DEs, I think the burden is on the settings manager to talk to the
different configuration systems it wants to operate under.  Or this
could be part of libcompizconfig, so that setting managers that want
to be DE-agnostic can just link to this library and not worry about
the underlying config mechanism in use.

The current compiz setup is compatible with the above scheme, somebody
just need to do the necessary libcompizconfig adjustments.

thanks,
Kristiani