Desktop SIG meeting today

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 20:14:38 UTC 2007

> desktop spin status (from booting a spin built with yesterdays rawhide)
> • udev slow

I've noticed this too, but haven't gotten around to investigating what
in our rules is slow.

> • tries to set up lvm - why ?

rc.sysinit always tries to enable any LVM that's present.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can do a check with blkid for
devices which are PVs and only do it if there are PVs present.

We're going to want this more-so in the future because we're going to be
enabling available swaps[1] unless explicitly requested otherwise.  This
will help a lot of users who's hardware is a little less good to
actually run the live image and not die a slow death of no memory being
available

> • rpcbind/statd/idmapd - should be turned off
> • autofs too

Should they just be off booting from the live image or after the install
as well?  Although rpcbind might be worth leaving around -- eventually,
it'd be nice if the other rpc-based services could auto-start as needed.
Then we could just start rpcbind and if you do an nfs mount and need
locking, lockd would start.  And so on.  So activation for old crummy
services.

The other approach would be to set up rpcbind to run from xinetd and run
xinetd by default :)

> • do we want rhgb on the livecd ?

There were a surprising number of requests for it.

> • starting avahi fails - needs to be after NM ?

Yeah, not sure what's up with this...

> • dhcdbd should go out with the new NM

*nod*

> • avoid getty on vt1 ?

If this is wanted, someone should throw together the little bit of
scripting needed to modify the inittab from the live initscript.  Even
just get me the bit of shell and I can put it in the initscript.

There was another small tweak that we were going to do in the initscript
to one of the defaults and now I've forgotten what it was.  Anyone else
remember?

Jeremy

[1] Thought I had committed and pushed this last week, but apparently I
forgot to push it, so it's not in yesterday's builds.