early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:52:28 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> That will probably need some work. I think you'd probably want to have a
> tab for these nm dispatcher services similar to the xined-based
> services. If you want to go wild, one could also imagine having a list
> of system bus dbus services there...

I think the control issue is probably the only note-worthy regression
that I see with this approach.  I've no qualms with using Dispatcher
for network-related services, with a couple of caveats.
1) basic on/off control  ..exactly on par with xinetd based services
as you suggest.

2) what to do we do when NM is turned off and the older sysconfig
based networking configuration is used. There should be a way to hold
the service configs for these network services so they are boot-time
operable (if turned on) in situations where NM isn't being run and the
legacy sysconfig based networking configs are being used.

-jef