early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 01:13:23 UTC 2007

Hi,

If I understand correctly, the main goal is to make it faster for the
user to see the login screen.  It seems simpler then to just move the
login screen earlier in the boot process (i.e. before all the stuff
conditional on the network) rather than making everything depend on
networking, which just happens to not be started until login.

Some of the stuff starting here doesn't make sense outside of a server
also...autofs, iscsi etc.  We've been just killing that stuff by
default for the desktop spin.