early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:14:15 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> Actually reading this, you have moved GDM very early - but your boot
> time speedup gains are presumably because you're not starting these
> services at all until after login?

My speed gains come from three basic principles

1)  I start 1 X server for the whole boot process.  I am running rhgb
in /etc/gdm/Init/Default before gdm-chooser is run.  This gives me two
niceties, 1 x-server, as soon as I kill rhgb-client gdm-chooser
launches.

2)  I am achieving parallel boot by allowing NMD start services as
necessary.  There is no reason starting a bunch of network dependent
services on boot if we don't have link, or wireless because we haven't
logged in yet and started nm-applet.   As far as the services you call
"server" services, well those are just what I run, and I use all of
them on my desktop on my home network.  I use autofs for my
file-services and icsi to connect ot my NAS for backups.  This
technology will slowly start making to more and more peoples desktops,
it is just senseless to start it if you don't have a network
connection.

3)  I am re-ordering system services that ignore "server services"
until after we get to a desktop login.  We need dbus, hal, network,
selinux, ndc before we are ready to login in most circumstances.  Do
that get a login prompt, then start everything after we are logged in.
 There is no reason that cups should start before a login prompt.

As always just my way, not necessarily the right way.

Jon