early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:22:25 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Her usage patterns are pretty much dead on target for "home desktop."
> > Picasa isn't going away until f-spot grows some brains concerning
> > integration with Kodak's easy share gallery service.  I'm not
> > suggestioning that using autofs is the smartest thing to deal with
> > this situation. How would you deal with it in an autofs-less setup
> > using a home network storage  location that must work well with
> > picasa?
>
> Doesn't gnomevfs support cifs?  I haven't tried though, honestly.
>
> But in any case, my opinion on most network file systems is they'd be
> better replaced by rsync+cron possibly +inotify trigger.

okay I just threw up a little in my mouth reading this.

That might work for a single user, but what about a family of users
that want to share photos?  If anything I would suggest a webdav
enabled svn repo than rsync+cron.  Drag and drop data, instant
revision control.  With some ldap and apache magic you can get user
privileges refined as well.

Jon