early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:25:22 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> But in any case, my opinion on most network file systems is they'd be
> better replaced by rsync+cron possibly +inotify trigger.

rsyncing 500 Gig networkable appliances to where exactly?
... like these things:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10844

Network-capable large capacity harddrives marketted to home users are
a reality. I think I can even get them a Sam's Club and Walmart now.
People actually use these things...over home networks... not kidding.

I know that gnome-vfs deals with cifs... but picasa doesn't talk
gnome-vfs as far as I know. if you can tell me how to get picasa or
other non-gnome applications to see a cifs connection managed by
gnome-vfs.. i might buy you a beer.

-jef"really really really would like to drop the use of autofs"spaleta