early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 03:20:57 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jon Nettleton (jon.nettleton at gmail.com) said:
> > I definitely think we need a gui to add more functionality there.  I
> > have remove cpuspeed from boot and the acpi modules from rc.sysinit
> > and replaced them with scripts in that directory.  It seems a shame
> > that the infrastructure was added and nothing changed to take
> > advantage of it.
>
> That's because it's a crap infrastructure. :)
>
> Seriously, acpi modules should be autoloaded based on DMI and ACPI
> table matching (almost done), and the governors should probably be
> built-in (as userspace is generally wrong.)

All that sounds great.  As with everything I have said before all my stuff I
have worked on is right here and right now.  My intention is to stop the
bleeding of Fedora becoming an under-used under-appreciated
desktop distribution by making small effective changes now.

Once we get more people excited about Fedora Desktop it will knock
the ball out of the park when we implement the more refined infra-structure
pieces.

Jon