No Desktop Live CD?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 14:48:49 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think this group created the confusion when they started calling it
> the "Desktop" Live image.  From day one this was the image that Fedora
> wanted to put out as /THE/ Fedora image.

What should be on /THE/ Fedora image?  The web site says:

"Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in
free and open source software."

You know Apache httpd is pretty important open source software, why
doesn't the CD have it?  Eclipse?  Why not OpenOffice?  The latest
KDE?  Saying it's the Fedora image gives us no guidelines for what it
includes.

The point I'm trying to make, and that I brought up before when we
were originally discussing the desktop spin, is that I believe
relatively few people want to *download* a showcase.  I think we
should very much pimp that Fedora is built on (showcases) the latest
and greatest FOSS, but in the end people want to download something to
use for a specific *purpose*.  And that takes different forms for
different markets.

The desktop spin was supposed to be suitable as a general
non-developer download, showcasing GNOME etc.  The KDE spin is
targeted for those people.  The developer spin is for the people who
want gcc and editors out of the box.

> As in if you don't want one
> of the special spins, this is /THE/ spin we want you to have, and we
> want the media to focus on, and we want to hand out at events.

At events, I suggest that ideally we want to get to the point where
the DVD when it boots up lets you choose which of the spins you want
to install.  The spins are fundamentally just a comps group +
kickstart file.

If you don't want to burn a DVD, then you have to choose what to put
on it.  At a developer focused conference, you'd want to be handing
out the developer spin.