early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Sep 15 12:08:39 UTC 2007

On 14.09.2007 18:36, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> (¹) -- No, I'm don't have a problem with calling a decision of mine
>> "totally stupid" (I sometimes do myself). But I think it's not helpful
>> when done in public.
>> IOW: This IMHO is just another occurrence that confirms by impression
>> that "the tone on the fedora lists IMHO gets worse and worse" (²) --
>> that's IMHO bad as it might be deterring to new developers or lurkers on
>> the list that might fear hard words more then we do.
> I think i this case we can put the blame completely on Jeremy. So its
> perfectly fair to say that Jeremy was totally stupid.... and  you were
> just an innocent victim of his masterful power of persuasion.

It wasn't his decision alon and I backed the idea ;-)

When I handed over the package to someone else I even said explicit:
don't remove that stuff!

But as I said: I can live with being called "totally stupid" -- I'm
around long enough and got used to it.

> [...]
>> /me always wonders if people on a party or a conference would go to the
>> podium and say "foo is totally stupid" if the chance that the one that
>> is responsible for "foo" is in the auditorium
> Actually a statement like that to open up a conference presentation is
> a great way to have the audience pay attention. [...]

Hehe, yeah, I suppose it would.

> I think people on the lists communicate by and large exactly how they
> would communicate in any established small working group settings...
> say for example  the 4th lab group assignment in a college course. Not
> the first assignment, at the beginning of the class when people don't
> really know each other yet. But the fourth assignment, after the group
> members have pretty much gained an intuitive feel for the personality
> quirks of the rest of the group.  Except on the lists, you're
> interacting with people you haven't actually had enough face-to-face
> time with to get an accurate intuitive feel for them so its much
> easier to cross the line from passionated impersonal discussion into
> personal offense without ever knowing you crossed it.

Fully agreed. I'd even would like to add something: In this "college
course" (aka this list) there are constantly new people watching from
the side if they should join the never-ending-course. And that's what we
want IMHO: join us, help us. But if you would look for a area to jum in
and watch a course where people are rude or unfriendly to each other
without need: would you join it or look out for another (friendlier) course?

Cu
knurd