Nautilus default in spatial mode?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Sep 17 12:18:17 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> I know this was discussed hundred times already, but I again ran to a
> F8T2 review [1] which mentions this. Why is the nautilus defaulted to
> spatial mode? IMHO, the browser mode is much more effective, has the
> very useful sidepanel (treeview and bookmarks are the most usefull
> ones), and opens only one window. Is there any reason to stay with
> spatial mode, while almost anyone complains about it?

I believe the main reason is spatial is the default in upstream GNOME.

You know, what *you* or *I* consider more effective is not extremely
relevant, as we are so-called "power users", net necessarily
representative (with that said, I am quite ambivalent for Spatial or
Browser, maybe with a slight preference for Spatial, where the tree view
does not waste space when not needed)

Changing the default from Spatial to Browser could also generate the
backslash of people ranting on their blogs about Browser not being the
best choice, blog complaints are not an useful metric.