Nautilus default in spatial mode?

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Sep 17 17:11:44 UTC 2007

Nicu Buculei escribió:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>>
>> I know this was discussed hundred times already, but I again ran to a
>> F8T2 review [1] which mentions this. Why is the nautilus defaulted to
>> spatial mode? IMHO, the browser mode is much more effective, has the
>> very useful sidepanel (treeview and bookmarks are the most usefull
>> ones), and opens only one window. Is there any reason to stay with
>> spatial mode, while almost anyone complains about it?
>
> I believe the main reason is spatial is the default in upstream GNOME.
>
> You know, what *you* or *I* consider more effective is not extremely
> relevant, as we are so-called "power users", net necessarily
> representative (with that said, I am quite ambivalent for Spatial or
> Browser, maybe with a slight preference for Spatial, where the tree
> view does not waste space when not needed)

On the contrary, less technically inclined people are the ones more
vocal about the spatial mode in Nautilus. I would have to agree with
them, it is plain dumb. Pretty much all the users and new users have
been conditioned to browser mode file management simply due to a Windows
background. Power users, on the other hand, may find spatial mode more
useful, apparently.

> Changing the default from Spatial to Browser could also generate the
> backslash of people ranting on their blogs about Browser not being the
> best choice, blog complaints are not an useful metric.

If that were the case, why doesn't people complaint about Konqueror
being "browser mode - only"? I too believe that the default should be
made the mode which is actually *easier* to use and not the more
"convenient" to use, as apparently only "Power Users" like and use
spatial mode (I still have to find someone who likes it in the first
place). From a user perspective, it would seem that regular users and
inexperienced users are the ones pleading for browser mode.