Current Xorg behavior is unfriendly at best

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:52:55 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 01:46 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Ever since the behavior of having Xorg guess resolutions has been
> > implemented, I have little to no luck with it.
> >
> > Of at least 6 fedora installs I've done since then it has never
> > guessed a resolution that is comfortable (for lack of a better word)
> > and on some occasions it has required rebooting into runlevel 3 - not
> > exactly a problem, but not very friendly. That ranges from desktop to
> > laptops, native to VM ( Parallels ) and standard to widescreen
> > displays.
>
> I'm missing some details here.  You say it guesses wrong, but don't say
> what it guesses, or what you would prefer.

For lack of me knowing how to get the current resolution at the
console level, coupled with bad memory, I can't say that I remember
the exact values that it gets wrong. What it gets wrong, is the
attempted screen resolutions, often using out of range (for LCDs) or
extreme ( very small or very large) resolutions.

> I do have an idea for choosing better, but it's really hard to heuristic
> this properly.  Partly because the X drivers are still limited and can't
> resize _up_ from whatever it chooses initially.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here.

Still, why does xorg _not_ use what's in xorg.conf just because the
monitor is off?

( www.pembo13.com )