Current Xorg behavior is unfriendly at best

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:30:51 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:
> The reason I'd rather guess too large is, for any given run of the X
> server, the initial mode is also the largest mode in the mode pool, and
> is the largest mode you can get for that instance of the X server.  So
> the user can RANDR down to the resolution they want - and gdm will
> remember it, and set that mode the next time they log in - but you can't
> RANDR up.  Also because, really, you can make the UI bigger quite
> easily, but shrinking things smaller than a pixel is sort of tricky.

Good point about not being able to RANDR up, however you can
system-config-display up. If your display blanks out due to high
resolution, you can't RANDR down, system-config-display, or for most,
use said machine to get online assistance. If th display blanks out,
the text make be too small for some to read and navigate to a tool the
know nothing about called RANDR (maybe it has a better name in the
Gnome menu)

( www.pembo13.com )