Desktop SIG meeting today

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 18:00:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 16:14 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 10:39 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > desktop spin status (from booting a spin built with yesterdays rawhide)
> > • udev slow
>
> I've noticed this too, but haven't gotten around to investigating what
> in our rules is slow.
>
> > • tries to set up lvm - why ?
>
> rc.sysinit always tries to enable any LVM that's present.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can do a check with blkid for
> devices which are PVs and only do it if there are PVs present.

The right answer here is most likely to move all LVM (and md for that
matter too) setup away from /etc/rc.sysinit and into udev rules. I think
upstream md already has this (check the udev rules in the upstream
tarball) and SUSE got the patch for devicemapper/lvm to do similar. You
probably want these fixes too in mainline Fedora I think. Just another
piece of the puzzle of moving Fedora into the dynamic event driven
world. [1]

(This whole thing raises some other interesting questions with one being
"do we want RAID auto-assembly?" and I think the answer there for Fedora
Desktop is "yes" and maybe perahps "yes, but only for arrays created on
this hostname [2]" for mainline Fedora.)

[1] : Don't mean to sound harsh but it is really a bug that we do this
at init time only; for example it fails with hotplug. I have a nice
eSATA enclosure with 5x500GB disks in RAID5 where hotplugging the array
works just fine. It should show up on my GNOME desktop if I boot up a
live CD on the system to which it is attached.

[2] : I think this is the default for mdadm

> Should they just be off booting from the live image or after the install
> as well?  Although rpcbind might be worth leaving around -- eventually,
> it'd be nice if the other rpc-based services could auto-start as needed.
> Then we could just start rpcbind and if you do an nfs mount and need
> locking, lockd would start.  And so on.  So activation for old crummy
> services.
>
> The other approach would be to set up rpcbind to run from xinetd and run
> xinetd by default :)

My opinion is that we should just turn it off by default (both in the
image and in the resulting install) and maybe also fix the UI tools to
check that it's enabled. You may want to keep it on in mainline Fedora.

Cheers,
David