early-gdm redux ( I am sorry my way is better faster... for a desktop )

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 10:08:02 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jon Nettleton (jon.nettleton at gmail.com) said:
> > > That's because it's a crap infrastructure. :)
> > >
> > > Seriously, acpi modules should be autoloaded based on DMI and ACPI
> > > table matching (almost done), and the governors should probably be
> > > built-in (as userspace is generally wrong.)
> >
> > All that sounds great.  As with everything I have said before all my stuff I
> > have worked on is right here and right now.  My intention is to stop the
> > bleeding of Fedora becoming an under-used under-appreciated
> > desktop distribution by making small effective changes now.
>
> Sure. I just don't see what you gain by replacing a shell script that
> loads modules... with a different shell script.

I think the big win with changes like this is consistency.  Right now
there are 5 differents methods for loading modules on startup.

1)  initrd.  Of course this is necessary, but mkinitrd it doesn't
respect changes made to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

2)  Traditional modprobe.conf, but now we have added /etc/modprobe.d/*

3) /etc/rc.modules

4) some modules right in /etc/rc.sysinit

5) and the new guy /etc/sysconfig/modules

One of the goals of a small change like this is to start getting ready
for larger changes by having an organized system.  If we don't like
/etc/sysconfig/modules then let's get rid of it.  What we have now
just seems disjoint and confusing.

Jon