Current Xorg behavior is unfriendly at best

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 06:46:03 UTC 2007

Ever since the behavior of having Xorg guess resolutions has been
implemented, I have little to no luck with it.

Of at least 6 fedora installs I've done since then it has never
guessed a resolution that is comfortable (for lack of a better word)
and on some occasions it has required rebooting into runlevel 3 - not
exactly a problem, but not very friendly. That ranges from desktop to
laptops, native to VM ( Parallels ) and standard to widescreen
displays.

It has deterred a computer savvy friend of mine from using Fedora
because on both attempts, installation went fie, but Xorgs choice of
resolution through his LCD into panic in which it turns off (forgot
the message it prints) - again, fairly easy for me to fix, but he
doesn't know how exactly and so has put it of, busy people.

Most annoying to me however is that I must put on my monitor, at least
before the gdm/kdm or i get a bloated, unusable resolution, it as
simple as Ctrl+Alt+Backspace but it is still quite annoying. I had set
several modes, now I have it down to just `Modes    "1280x960"` and
still that behavior continues, I'm not sure why it doesn't trust my
xorg.conf.

I have a ViewSonic PF790 display and my Smolt UUID is
'a141fbad-6bc1-419a-a5e7-1c247d90184a' if that helps.

I should add that it did guess right on my laptop, but that might be
because my laptop only does 1024x768 and 800x600 - limited options

Arthur Pemberton

( www.pembo13.com )