Nautilus default in spatial mode?

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 12:44:44 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> > Nicu Buculei escribió:
> >>
> >> Changing the default from Spatial to Browser could also generate the
> >> backslash of people ranting on their blogs about Browser not being the
> >> best choice, blog complaints are not an useful metric.
> >
> > If that were the case, why doesn't people complaint about Konqueror
> > being "browser mode - only"? I too believe that the default should be
>
> Probably because Konqueror was always browser only?
>
> > made the mode which is actually *easier* to use and not the more
> > "convenient" to use, as apparently only "Power Users" like and use
>
> This may be because effective use of our spatial mode require unusual
> shortcuts (double-click with the wheel), which only "power users" bother
> to remember.

I have been thinking of adding an open to nautilus that allows
changing the button behavior.  left clicking opening a window and
closing a parent and using middle-click to keep them open.  Personally
I love spatial mode, but I still wish I had that behavior.

> > spatial mode (I still have to find someone who likes it in the first
> > place). From a user perspective, it would seem that regular users and
> > inexperienced users are the ones pleading for browser mode.

I think you are really referring to Windows comfortable users here.
Most the inexperienced users I have put in front of gnome really find
spatial intuitive.  My fiance has all her different photo/movie/music
windows opening on her screen just so.  Now if only there was a better
way to organize her desktop :-)

> I won't argue either way, I don't have the means to conduct such
> experiment but someone else in this thread (Brian) argued for the
> opposite, so I believe you found at least one :p

Personally I think the gnome community has gone through the change
once, and we should stick with it.

Jon