Replacing the bittorrent client

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 14:04:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 15:52 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> tir, 18 09 2007 kl. 12:56 +0100, skrev Bastien Nocera:
> > Heya,
> >
> > Does anyone have any objections to me replacing the "official"
> > bittorrent client (~2 megs) with Transmission (~500k)?
> >
> > Transmission is better integrated in the desktop, smaller in size, and
> > better maintained.
>
> I'm personally more fond of deluge, it has features Transmission does
> not have (last I checked) like seeding only to a set ratio, it has a

Right-click on a torrent, torrent info, see the options tab.

> nice plugin system to extend the client and much more without making the
> interface azureus-like in complexity.

I found deluge heavier (it's written in Python) and the UI more
contrived. Transmission's written in C, and has that GNOME/MacOS X (it's
a very popular client on MacOS X) philosophy about keeping things
simple, yet powerful.

I don't doubt Deluge is nice, but it's far too complicated as a default
client, IMO.