Current Xorg behavior is unfriendly at best

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:04:01 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > On 9/18/07, Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> If the monitor is off, I can't talk to it, so I can't ask it what it can
> >> do.  Note that this is something of a lie, most monitors made since, oh,
> >> 2000, will merely look like they're asleep but will still respond over
> >> DDC if they have a power cord plugged in.
> >>
> >> But if I can't talk to it, I'll use what's in the config file.  Do you
> >> have an example of X not doing so?
> >
> > Yes... the most frustrating part of all. As I've been trying to
> > communicate, xorg does _not_ use my xorg.conf when the monitor is off,
> > and instead uses something on the scale of 800x600 which is so large,
> > the necessary widgets are off screen.
>
> You need to provide more information including your hardware and xorg
> configuration for others to reproduce and fix any issues. Might be
> better in a bug report.
>
> Rahul

I have already provided my Smolt UUID
(a141fbad-6bc1-419a-a5e7-1c247d90184a), monitor band/model (ViewSonic
PF790), and here is my xorg.conf,
http://www.pembo13.com/pub/xorg.conf.watson.20070918

If there is any more information I can let me know, if not, I will
elevate this to a bug report.

Arthur Pemberton

( www.pembo13.com )