Soundcards Race Condition

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Apr 11 20:50:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11.04.08 22:37, Carsten Breuer (CarstenBreuerFDDesk at textwork.de) wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> i have three soundcards on my computer
> (one internal, 2 usb) running under FC8.
> I use this to run two mpd's (music player daemon)
> on the two USB-Soundcards.
>
> The soundcards in my system makes a great race
> during startup and you can never predict which one wins.
>
> Since the setup defines an index of the internal
> motherboard card in /etc/modprobe.conf, this card
> is not available anymore if the USB-Soundcards
> are detected first.
>
> In my opinion this is a bad behavior of fedora core.
> Users should be able to decide which id which
> soundcard get. Of cource, you can write udev
> rules for that, but IMO this is the job of fedora.
>
> Why don't we delay the start of the soundcards until
> all interfaces are enumerated? If this is done
> immediately before running rc.local, everything
> would be fine and there are no race conditions
> any more. This would also make sure that
> a soundcard doesn't disappear because
> the given index is used by another card.

Identifying sound cards by index is a thing from the past. PulseAudio
identifies sound cards by their HAL UDI.

system-config-soundcard has been removed from the installer and is no
longer part of the default install to make sure we don't write the
problematic /etc/modprobe.conf fragments anymore. There was some talk
to remove it from the distribution entirely, though I don't know what
the latest status of this is.

Lennart