GNOME 2.24 feature

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Thu Aug 7 01:28:17 UTC 2008

> Good idea. I've made some edits to the page. One thing to consider is
> that empathy requires the whole telepathy stack, which may cause some
> size issues on the live image. [...]

On my F9/x86_64 install, after doing a 'yum install telepathy*
empathy*', the whole of Empathy and the Telepathy stack take up just
under 9 MB [1]. Is there really that tight of a squeeze on the CD? :O

> On the other hande, libpurple is huge
> too, and loosing that may well make up for telepathy.

Prior to AOL's transition to XMPP instead of their proprietary IM
protocol, libpurple (with Haze) was the only way to get AIM/ICQ support
for Telepathy, and even now tends to have better MSN support than
Butterfly (or so I've been told). I've so far been unable to get
AIM-over-XMPP working - though I've not tried too hard, admittedly.
Thus, using Empathy would effectively make it the "UI" for libpurple
instead of Pidgin.

> It is worth pointing out that you need to install telepathy-idle to
> get IRC support in empathy.

I've a small list of various packages/connection managers and what
protocols they support in Empathy's documentation (also in Fedora's
CVS), named "README.ConnectionManagers"; so please feel free to modify
that as needed. :)

[1] There's probably a more elegant way, but:
$ yum info telepathy* empathy*	\
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479