GNOME 2.24 feature

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:09:45 UTC 2008

> > Hi, just made a Feature page for GNOME 2.24:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GNOME2_24
> >
> > There are various tasks here, the main change not executed on yet is
> > Empathy, which I've been investigating this week.  If you see anything
> > else that needs to be added to that page, please do it.
>
> Good idea. I've made some edits to the page. One thing to consider is
> that empathy requires the whole telepathy stack, which may cause some
> size issues on the live image. On the other hande, libpurple is huge
> too, and loosing that may well make up for telepathy.
>
> It is worth pointing out that you need to install telepathy-idle to
> get IRC support in empathy.

Speaking of size issues, could we reconsider using Epiphany (about 6MB
rpm + about 1MB rpm for extensions) instead of Firefox (about 10MB rpm)
as part of this Feature (both currently require xulrunner)? Epiphany is
official part of the Gnome Project (in contrast to firefox), follows the
gnome HIG, better integrates with various system settings and seems
faster than firefox.

Thanks,
Martin