Fedora and 3D Desktop

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:13:06 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 2:42 PM, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 3:15 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > In Fedora there is a option "Enable desktop effects" but it looks from
> > > users point of view that it is there only so that nobody can't say
> > > that fedora project doesn't have 3D desktop feature.
> >
> > You are being obnoxious. AIGLX which is used in most distributions for
> > "3D desktops" today was developed with Fedora.
>
> Maybe Valent is right, that for a *user* (someone unaware of what's
> under the hood, and, moreover, who coded it) looking at
> desktop-efffects, it may indeed seem that way. If it does, then we're
> not giving the correct picture out there. Which is something that
> nowadays we all agree we should work on fixing.
>
> -d

I know that you are devels here and that have the other insight that I
users do (like me), but please look at it from my perpective. First I
know that red hat developers made aiglx (I bloged about it 3 years
ago) but since a lot has happened. Novell put out XGL and compiz
worked only with XGL in the beginning (novell got a lot of heat for
that) and now compiz works with both XGL and aiglx. Then came beryl...
and finaly compiz-fusion project. And although I know that all those
project benefited from aiglx the general perspection is that "beryl"
or now "compiz-fusion" enables 3D to desktop, users don't know that
Fedora and Red hat are to thank for most of that.

Not for the part of Fedra - I saw lots of distros that enabled "3D
Desktop" even as back as 3 releases ago... and Fedora still does not.
I read the blog post Rahul gave me and I thought as much - great
developers in fedora and red hat want thing to work better so they are
fixing issues and not releasing to early. I understand that. Other
distros may have gone and enabled it and had more issues that they had
positive feedback or and maybe they had more positive feedback, I
don't know.

This question arose when I saw how fedora pushes the envelope of a
modern desktop on many fronts - PulseAudio being just one of them, and
using them before other distros, and compare that to 3D Dektop feature
looks like 3D desktop is being ignored - this is ofcourse just from a
users point of view because I know that there is lot of work "under
the hood" that normal users don't see.

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/