How to remove some mounted partition icons?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jan 1 16:58:08 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Fedora 8 and on the gnome desktop I see some icons from my
> partitions that I don't wan't on my gnome desktop.

Happy New Years, and thanks for providing me a golden opening for a
truly unimportant rant-

Personally in response to your issue, I remind you of what you probably
already know- There is absolutely no reason you NEED to have a *&@#!!!
file manager as your desktop.  Just gconf nautilus away from your
desktop, and then open nautilus/places from your main menu, or a panel
launcher when you need to.

(IMO) What a stupid microsoftism (or whoever they copied from copied it
from ism) to be chasing.

Sure it's all a nice and sexy advertisement of linux handling removable
storage in a not completely sucky way (anybody remember supermount?).
But once we get to the point of removable storage handling working in a
robust stable unchanging way for a while, the novelty and joy of getting
instant feedback that the mechanism actually worked, will wear off.

You can still have that annoying stupid 'import photos' dialog pop up
which can be a gateway to opening the file manager to that volume.

What else is the desktop-as-filemanager useful for?  A cache of
icon-'desktop'-entries that the user likes?  That would be much better
served if modifying the main menu were as easy as it already is to drag
an entry from there to the panel.

Anyway, Happy Holidays folks, you may now resume your long thread, which
I appreciate solely for the reminder of the fstab comment entry, which
I'm surprised jkatz didn't overtly point out to me yet, if he was
reading this thread (as it relates to my desire to have some clean
mechanism to protect a filesystem which is a subcomponent of the rootfs
from being unmounted before the rootfs).

Cheers,

-dmc